Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rain, Rain, Rain, and More Rain...Have I Mentioned That It Rained?

 In the United States, most of us have a bad habit of desiring to have things immediately when we want them. We have little patience for change of plans, being late or not receiving what we want. That type of thinking is very dangerous and uncommon in other countries, especially Guatemala. I must confess, I displayed that type of American thinking today.

Today was suppose to be a major work day on the church property in the village. The plans were to finish building the fence, construct a 12'x24' material building, erect a house for the workers, and build a kitchen. All of this seemed like a lofty goal, but let me assure you that it all could have  been done. However, the plans changed completely!

We arrived on the property at 8:15 this morning anticipating a full day of work. Max and five other men arrived shortly after us. A few of the men went to work on the fence quickly while Max and myself designated the placement of buildings on the property. From this point forward, plans changed drastically.

First, the materials for the buildings didn't arrive until 9:30. After unloading the vehicle, Max informed me that he forgot his wheelbarrows and we needed to travel to Escuintla to buy a couple. It took us longer than expected and we didn't return until 11. Unfortunately, the sky looked like it was about to burst open and slap us with a fury of rain. The weather turned horrible and we were all huddled under some tin stretched over the vehicles. I guess that was a good time to rain because our lumber still had not been delivered.

After a quick lunch and the rain subsiding, we went to work full throttle. Thankfully, we were able to finish the material building on the property. It seemed like we were going to be able to meet our lofty goals. Suddenly, the clouds congregated overhead and poured rain upon us fiercefully.

We all gathered under the newly erected building. It rained for a solid two hours. We finally decided to call it quits, but we had to gather all of the material that stretched from one end to the other on the property. All of us was soaking wet when we concluded.

I'll be honest, I was very frustrated!

I wanted to have all of this done today, so the workers can begin living on the property and start on Monday. I was in a bit of a foul mood while we were driving home. Then the Guatemalan Police pulled me over. I was thinking, "What else could happen today."

Everything was fine, but God used that brief moment on the side of the road to correct my thinking. He used Jennifer to show me how he had blessed us today. Everyday, we have certain goals and expectations that each of us set. I wander, how many of us pray for God to guide our steps, expectations, and goals for each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment