Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Man Named Reuben

Men Working on the Footings

A week that was supposed to be so full of expectations and joy was promptly squeezed-out, or let me say rained upon. There were many parts of the church building that we had hoped would be ready when the groups arrived. Unfortunately, the work was not completed at the rate that would have accomplished those aspirations. I’ll be honest, as each minute has passed over the past few days, I have become more stressed, irritated, frustrated, and mad. However, a shower of rain and a divine moment can change everything.

One of the most time consuming and tedious jobs is the concrete footings for the church. The footings will ensure that the building is sat upon a solid foundation. It is a very important task and one that needed to be accomplished before the groups arrive on Wednesday. The property in the village is not level, so the trenches for the footings are deeper than normal. The footings in Guatemala are usually around three feet deep. However, the trenches in the back are almost five foot due to the nature of the slope. The job has taken almost twice as long as first anticipated for a variety of reasons (two greatest reasons being rain and the workers). Yesterday, the work came to a sudden halt and the job looked like it would not be complete before our group arrived in Guatemala.

The men yesterday morning were more or less working at their normal ho-hum pace. Some of the workers are great men with integrity. Others seem to be milking the job for more time and money. The plan was for the rest of the rebar columns to be erected for the front, back and left wall. Then pour concrete around the columns. That would ensure that the entire trench could then be leveled with concrete on Wednesday, and ultimately be prepared for the group to begin laying block. After a brief conversation with one of the men and a horrendous rainstorm, everything changed. The man explained to me that they might erect the columns for the right side, but they will not pour concrete at their base. Also, he said that they were going to concrete only the left wall. Suddenly, the rain began to pour and all the men quit working. As I sat in the vehicle, I continued to get madder and madder. I began fuming about the words that he had spoken and the men relaxing in the building. I was determined that I was going to get out in the rain and erect those columns and concrete them even if I done it differently.

Children Gathered for Backyard Bible Club
I got out of the car and began moving columns to the excavated slots specifically carved for each column. I noticed one of the men watching me after the second one I carried. Before long, every man was watching me move the columns and working in the rain. Then I grabbed the two wrenches and started angling the steel so the columns could be erected in the ground. When I was bending the second before the last, one of the men came to me and said, “Your bends are not angled enough.” “Here, do it like this.” I am glad that I didn’t know how to express the thoughts in my head in Spanish. I was irritated. I was mad. I was fuming. I was about to say something…and then I experienced a defining moment.

My defining moment was a divine appointment with a man named Reuben. I first noticed him in my peripheral vision, and then I heard a voice proclaim, “Hey big brother!” I was caught off-guard due to the situation and his Latino-styled, Californian accented English. I started speaking to him in Spanish and he said, “English please, my Spanish is bad.” As the conversation continued, I knew that God had allowed us to meet together. The man proceeded to tell me his testimony, information about the village, and encouragement.

Reuben was originally from Belize and went to Sunday School as a child. Later in life, he got caught up in drugs and became a shame to his family. He spent time in prison and time in rehabs. He told me that Jesus became his ultimate rehabilitation. He knew the Bible and continued to quote verses. Every verse seemed to be relevant with either situations that my family is facing or questions about the future. The most powerful statement that he made was, “Marvin, don’t give up. What you are doing to serve God is beautiful. Continue to push and walk forward. Currently, it might feel like you are stepping in the thorns, but one day the soil of the people in this village and project will be like planting your feet in fertile soil.”

Guatemalan Birthday Party for Max's Grandson
I learned many lessons yesterday. I also had other lessons reinforced in my life. I was reminded yesterday that people are led by example. In the past, I have been taught that the best form of leadership is servant leadership. Usually, we all enter our vehicle when it begins to rain. However, yesterday I was determined to work and finish the footings. When I began working and striving in the rain, the other men began to leave the comforts of the shelter. The men rolled up their sleeves and joined me working in the rain. I was also reminded that we serve an amazing God that knows each of us individually. He knew that I needed that divine encounter, the defining moment yesterday. I am in love with God and I pray that each day he will mold my family and me. How great is our God!

“And whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the mane of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to 
God the Father through him.” 
Colossians 3:17


1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading the updates. Praying for yall! This post reminded me of our time there when it rained as we worked on building those 12x12's. Love and miss yall!

    ReplyDelete