Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Summary of Our Two Groups


Group Gathered Together Singing with the Children

The time has come and gone and the groups are no more. We have been living here for two months and have spent a majority of that time preparing for our groups. Now we are looking back and evaluating the time that we have spent here ministering to the people of Guatemala. The groups were amazing and I am proud to call each person that came my friends, my family, and my co-laborers in Christ.

I believe that the groups have made a greater impact this year than any other trip I have ever been a part. We were extremely busy and extremely tired but the trip to Guatemala was amazing. I think that the difference was that we focused all of our time and energy in one place, Santa Rosa el Rodeo. In past years, we were as busy, but our time was divided in multiple areas around Guatemala. This year we focused on one community and the difference was evident.

Our Group Throwing Blocks
This year, our groups poured out their lives like servants. I watched people love on children like they were their biological kids. I saw men and women remember names and minister to men, women, and children no matter how difficult or different someone acted. The amazing part was that each person had a certain group of kids that they ministered with. I was afraid that the loveable kids like Kevin, Freddie, Brenda, and Thelma’s kids would be the only kids ministered to because of their active personalities. Thankfully, I was wrong because it seemed like each kid was loved and ministered to by someone.

Building Planning Committee with Bro. Stan and Mr. Randy
Amazingly, God orchestrated the group like a conductor of a symphony. Each person entered into each week with a certain skill set physically and spiritually. Then God organized his servants and used them in harmony to minister to the village of Santa Rosa el Rodeo. Collectively, God used us to begin a work in this dark community in order to bring salvation and transformation. This village is known for its immorality and wickedness. A dark place filled with men without jobs that fill their time with drugs, alcohol, and abusive actions. I am excited to see how God will transform the people of this village.

Feeding the Village
The greatest highlight was to spend time with each person from our two groups. I appreciate how each of them supported us and loved on our baby. I know that God brought each person together in order to proclaim his glory in this dark village. This was confirmed one night when a new and dear friend joined us for supper.

After supper, Jennifer led us into worship as the group was joined together. While we were singing praise songs, my friend Vivian said that she heard God speak a message into her heart. She said that God told her, “The group does not need to worry about anything. I am the Lord and I am in control of everything. I know everything that they need and I will watch over the church in Santa Rosa el Rodeo. I have brought together different people with various skills to reach out and minister to my people, and I will use them to continue to grow this church.” After she heard that message, the groups began to share about the week. Vivian was overwhelmed when each person concluded that God brought together different people for the trip. She knew that she had accurately heard from God because Bro. Stan reminded us that we are the body and Jesus is the head. She told me later that she was weeping because of the message God gave her.

Dedicating Juan's House
I want to end this report by proclaiming, “How Great is Our God!” I will never forget the message that God shared with Vivian. I will cherish those words as a promise that God is not only in control, but also going to take care of this church. I will also cherish the memories that were created with so many people while we were serving the Lord. Let us continue to serve the Lord in families, jobs, schools, communities, and places in each of our lives. We need to strive to serve the Lord everyday with every breath! Go. Live. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment